Friday, January 20, 2006

Tired of tires

Evidently I have to change the two front tires on my car.. (being that they skid every time I accelerate, and don't even get me started on the breaking.. or lack thereof)

This is where I get screwed for driving with 17" rims..

So the other day I went to my local Midas for an estimate. It was a most unpleasant surprise.. with the cheapest tires, it would cost me around 550 EUR for both tires ! Sweet mother of all that holy !!! For crying out loud, it's rubber we're talking about - not plutonium.

Spent some time yesterday, calling around to find a cheaper solution. Here's my findings:

All places are 15 minutes or less away from my home. Classed from cheapest to most expensive.

Tire reference: 205/50 ZR 17 89W

1. Jumbo Pneus (Genevilliers)
Cheapest tire: 150 EUR / tire
Medium tire: 170 EUR / tire
Michelin/Pirelli: 210 EUR / tire

So a couple of average tires (including "montage"): 340 EUR TTC

2. Euromaster (Levallois-Perret)
Very nice service - on the phone, anyways.
Cheapest solution (including "montage") : 388 EUR TTC

3. Speedy (La Garenne)
Cheapest solution (including "montage"): 463 EUR TTC

4. Midas (La Garenne)
Cheapest solution (including "montage"): 550 EUR TTC

5. Peugeot (La Defense)
This is where I purchased the piece of shit car I have.
First off, the service was absolute crap - I was transferred 3 times, and had to call back
another number, because he didn't want to transfer the call.
Montage: 60 EUR HT
Tires: (263 EUR HT/ tire): 526 EUR HT
Cheapest solution (including "montage"): 700 EUR TTC


Perhaps I'll just find another 307, and "walk off" with a couple of tires in the late night hours..

No comments: